Saturday, March 10, 2007

Weekly Awards

It's been a while since the weekly awards were given out... they have returned:

Conversation of the week:
D: "What kind of a name is that, 'the Ottawa Senators'? Could there be a more geeky name?"
K: "How about... 'the Ottawa Programmers?'"

Guilty Pleasure of the week:

Cafe of the week:
The Boardwalk Cafe & Wine Bar (4, 15 Balsam Ave, Bragg Creek, AB)
(K recommends the Montreal smoked meat sandwich on rye, Baby Chu recommends the cranberry pecan square... oh my turkey sandwich on multigrain was good too!)

Pizza of the week: K&D's almost-famous BBQ Chicken Pizza with red pepper and green onion... YUM... (perfect for hockey night in Canada with a Shirley Temple
[or spicy ginger beer for Karl] watching the Ottawa Programmers... uh... Senators... beating Toronto in the first period):
  1. Grill chicken on the BBQ until barely cooked, nice and juicy, about 3 mins per side
  2. Spread BBQ sauce on the pizza crust, about the same quantity as you would with tomato pizza sauce
  3. Dice chicken and spread on sauce
  4. Dice red pepper (about 1/2 of a large pepper for one 12" pizza) and sprinkle on top
  5. Dice onion and add to top
  6. Dice green onion and sprinkle on
  7. Top with Mozzarella cheese (a friend of ours that was formerly a pizza joint owner told me once that the trick is to be sure to sprinkle the cheese from the middle all the way to the outer crust... that way it doesn't 'shrink in' when it melts and stays put when you slice it)
  8. Bake for about 15-18 minutes... broil for the final 3 minutes for a bubbly top
  9. Slice and ENJOY
Baby Chu update of the week: I'm almost 16 weeks now... Baby Chu is now 5.5 inches (supposedly?!). I haven't been measuring my waistline, but I have been wearing the good ol' stretchy pants for a couple weeks already. Doc says my weight gain is good; slow and steady... we get to see baby Chu by ultrasound at the end of the month!

Survey of the week: Do you give gifts at Easter? If so, what's the best gift to give?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard some people like bunnies for Easter, if you're looking for gift ideas.

;P

Tim Kantel said...

Coming from an Ottawa perspective that comment on the Sens is pretty funny considered the city has been known for its high tech industry.

Anonymous said...

Ha. The Ottawa Programmers. They will never be the Senators to me again. I don't give gifts at Easter, because 1) I'm cheap and 2) I never know when the holiday is! It's like daylight savings time. My kids got chocolates from my inlaws this year...

Unknown said...

Laura and I give ourselves the gift of food (i.e. our big Easter dinner). And I usually drink some kind of soft drink too, to celebrate the end of Lent...even though I never really drink pop/soda/coke anyway. I guess I kind of cheat each year by giving up something I don't really value anyway. I suppose I should follow the spirit of the lenten season and actually make some kind of sacrifice!

Dayna Chu said...

Dunn, you're better than my mom at lent. She gives up church (she's not a regular church-goer). I suppose I should give up something like chocolate (more like torture than a lenton sacrifice for a pregnant woman!?) but maybe this year I will give up wine ;)