Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Happy First Day of Spring...

True to Calgary's style, we had rain and snow today, followed by completely clear blue skies and sunshine, followed by more snow and now wind. Welcome to Spring!So, the real question is, where the heck have I been? I can't believe that I didn't even blog to say Happy St. Patrick's Day... but my excuse is that I was in Atlanta... going through withdrawals with no computer. I was at an awesome Women's conference with 16 other women from my church... wow! All of us went all the way down there for the conference.

A few recent happenings: first, a product review from Karl... he is convinced that we can get rid of all other knives in our kitchen and stick with the Chinese Chopper. Here he is using it for the remainder of our valentine's ice cream cake, I missed the pizza cutting:Here is the crazy amount of snow that we got in the course of about 3 hours last weekend... the high that day was 16*C, so obviously it didn't last long!I should be sending pictures of crocuses and tulips blooming, but no such luck, ask me in July!

I can't believe we're 2/3 of the way through March already. All you out there with kids, does time go by faster when you have things like school holidays to mark off the calendar, or does it make things more manageable?

Do I have any Martha Stewart or Martin Stewarts out there? I am hosting an Easter Tea for the family (up to about 20 adults and 7 kids) on the Saturday of Easter weekend... I need some decorating ideas, and recipes for snacky things. I am thinking simple and bright... mostly have jelly beans in jars kind of scattered about so far as an idea... but I want to do something funky. With Baby Chu's arrival, we won't be in much of a position to host Thanksgiving or Christmas this year, so Easter it is. I guess I am kind of chickening out by not doing a full-on Easter dinner, but we will be away in San Francisco for the week before Easter, so I don't want to get too adventurous. Here's another idea that I will share with you for your Easter festivities, if you're having any (act surprised if you end up here on Easter Saturday!):

(click for source)

8 comments:

Karl Chu said...

Let me tell ya, you really don't need any other sharp edges in the kitchen when you have a Chinese chopper... with the exception of may be a paring knife. But what kind of MAN use a paring knife anyway!?

Kori's House said...

We had the same weather as you today, although the snow only lasted about 5 minutes :)

The first 5 years of being a parent went VERY slow, the last 5 years was the blink of an eye, crazy!!

I do have a great 'pinwheel' recipe, I will email it. Otherwise I am not that creative. How about Easter Bread for dessert :)

Kori's House said...

Is it true what they say about a man with a big knife?
Perhaps that is what Karl was getting at with the paring knife?!?

Dayna Chu said...

Thanks for the recipes Kori, they all look awesome.

Unknown said...

There's usually no shortage of eggs in the Yoshitani household, so we typically have deviled eggs. Not terribly time-consuming either, except for the boiling phase.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the plastic-ware presentation, how cute is that!? My advice on the appy's - don't over-do it...sometimes a bunch of appy's can be a whole lot more work than a basic meal! And for the kids, I bet some simple PB&J sandwhiches cut out with "Easter shaped" cookie cutters would be a hit!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I agree with Kori on the kids...as soon as they get into school, time ZOOMS by!

Dayna Chu said...

awesome advice Melissa... time, effort & cost can shoot up with a "simple tea" vs full dinner eh?