Sunday, April 15, 2007

Steamed Chicken with Shitake Mushrooms

In Dayna's book, this would be Steamed Shitake Mushrooms with Chicken. In any case, there isn't a lot of simple Chinese food that anyone can make. This one happens to be one of those. So I figure I would post the recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 4 Boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 1 pound
  • 4 to 8 Shitake mushrooms depending on size
  • 1 piece of fresh ginger about the size of a dollar coin
  • 1 tbsp Soysauce
  • 1/2 tsp Corn starch
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp Sesame seed oil
  • 1 tbsp rice wine (optional)
Instructions:
  1. Cut chicken and shitake mushrooms into bite-size strips
  2. Mince or julienne the ginger
  3. Mix all ingredients together
  4. Let marinade for 5 to 10 minutes
  5. Put into heat-resistant dish (e.g. Corning ware). Do not put a lid on.
  6. Steam for about 20 minutes or until chicken cooked, stirring every 10 minutes.
It is as easy as that. However, after talking to Dayna, I realize that it is not obvious how to steam a meat dish; so here are a few pointers for that. Steaming a dish in Chinese home cooking is usually done with a wok and a steaming rack (as shown above). Boil the water in the wok. Once water is boiled, place the dish directly on the steaming rack and cover the wok. If you don't have a wok (I suspect most people who read this blog don't have one), you can also use a steamer like the one shown here. However, a steamer like this is usually not very big and your dish may not fit inside. A third option would be to use a steaming rack (like the one shown in the wok above) and use it inside a much bigger pot (like a stock pot); basically replacing the wok with a big pot.

At any rate, there you have it. Hope the steaming part of it wasn't too confusing.

11 comments:

Kori's House said...

can I substitute the mushrooms for something else????

I love Ginger, so this recipe would be great without the mushrooms :)

Dayna Chu said...

mushrooms are the BEST PART! Have you tried shitake mushrooms?

Kori's House said...

ummm... maybe?!?
I pretty much eat everything,other than slimy things, and mushrooms happen to be one of those slimy things I don't eat :(
Maybe now that I am older and wiser I should try them :)

Keri's Collage... said...

you could probably use any veggie?? no? Maybe some broccoli or bok choi or something? Sounds yummy and easy too!

Tim Kantel said...

Now I'm sure this is a fantastic recipe...but my problem is that I think mushrooms are one of the most vile creations that pass for food on this earth.

My proof is this....why do we eat a food that has the first four letters that this one does? Hmmmmm?

....and I 'aint talkin' "mush"

Just some Monday morning deep thoughts from the nations capital (where it's snowing yet again) :)

Stacey Sparshu Miller said...

Okay so I have a walk but no steaming rack...can you buy just the rack? where? Oh, I'm anxious to try cooking REAL Chinese food! Thanks, Karl!

Karl Chu said...

You can get a steaming rack from a Chinese cookware store. I don't have a specific store name in mind. The two places to try in Calgary are the Chinese mall on Centre Street and 16 Ave, and the T&T mall in the northeast by the Marlborough C-Train station. The rack shouldn't cost more than $5.

Karl Chu said...

I suppose one can substitute the mushrooms with something else. I can't quite think of what though. Like Dayna said, the Shitake mushrooms is one of the ingredients that makes the dish; and it's got such a unique taste that is hard to substitute. If you have never had Shitake mushrooms before, it may be worth a try. It is quite meaty and has a unique smoky taste to it. Hope you all have a successful Chinese cooking adventure. :-)

Anonymous said...

Just a guess, but maybe vegetables like baby corn, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots or bean sprouts would work with this recipe. What do you think, Karl?

Karl Chu said...

Good suggestions, Linda. I think bamboo shoots would be really nice. Baby corn and water chestnuts would work too, although they may be on the sweet side. At first, I thought bean sprout might be too mushy; but on second thought, the original original recipe calls for dried lilies (called "golden needles" in Chinese). It has similar texture as bean sprout; that would also be very nice. I may have to try it sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Great recipe, I made it tonight. You are right Karl, it did make sauce when it cooked! But I did not use enough corn starch so it was not thick enough. I bought the steaming rack at T&T Market for $3. We will definitely have this dish again! :)Delicious and easy!