Saturday, November 04, 2006

Fynthia

We adopted 7 fish from Mary when my dad died. She was worried that they wouldn't do so well when she went away for a while, so I took them home with me last time I went there for a visit...

There's Snik, Nub, and Uhs (shubunkins, a type of carp/goldfish) an Finnigan, Fynthia, Dolly, and Little Amigo. We changed Uhs's name to Cal... because he's a Calico and Uhs was just awkward.
I used to make fun of people who did crazy things for their pets, like simmering boneless skinless chicken in gravy for a dog. That was until I found myself skinning individual peas and snipping them into bits so that my goldfish wouldn't be constipated. Right... and it helps to avoid bladder infection too, in case you were wondering. If your fish are ever swimming upside down, or floating at the surface, but seem to be alive, feed them skinned peas. Anyway, my excuse is that these fish have special sentimental value.

Here's a picture of Fynthia (she even looks sad...), who is now in a separate little 'hospital tank' beside our 35 gallon one... because she seems to have some version of "pop-eye" that may develop into some form of "dropsy"... Our water quality is nearly perfect and we're not sure how she might have got it. We hope she's okay, but she's not doing all that great right now. We're giving her antibiotics, but draw the line at surgery!

6 comments:

Stephen said...

Another person understands why pet lovers are crazy. All you need to do is own a pet that you truly care about to understand how precious they are and how crazy we are.

They are an awesome reminder. Good luck!

Unknown said...

I hope Fynthia pulls through! I second Stephen's comments.

Blessings on the eastern swing.

Dayna Chu said...

Thanks Dunn, but you should still have more pictures of Laura in your office than Riley!

:)

Kori's House said...

Sounds like these fish are well cared for! You really did your homework!

Keri's Collage... said...

WOW! You guys are aweome parents! Best wishes to you and your fishes :)

Anonymous said...

Andrea and I had fish our first year together.
Our first fish was Murray. We got another fish, whose name I can't recall, because she was evil, and she nibbled Murray's tail down to a stub, and by the time we stuck him in his own tank, it was too late.
I can't remember what we did with the evil fish. Maybe we gave her away...