Monday, September 25, 2006

I am committed

... or shall I say, "my submitted patch has been committed"? Today, my first ever contribution to an open source project has been committed into the project's source code control system. I am very excited about that not because that makes me special. Rather, I feel I have taken a very important step towards my career goals, and this is a significant milestone for me.

I had been wanting to get myself involved in an open source project for quite some time now. However, I was never motivated enough to actually hunker down and do it. Two weeks ago on Sunday after church, Dayna and I got into a long "let's blue sky it a bit" type of conversation. We asked ourselves what we want to achieve professionally, and what can we do today to edge us closer to that goal. The answer for me was to get involve in an open source project. I chose NHibernate as the project, picked an open issue to work on from its issue tracker, and two weeks later, I had my patch committed to the project.

I am committed and I hope my enthusiasm will continue. May be someday I will earn the title of Regular Contributor of NHibernate or some other open source project.

No comments: