Thursday, February 15, 2007

valentine's day...

AHhh, I'm bad... no pictures of the pecan crusted salmon that I made for Valentine's supper. Karl knows that I love a good card, and also sweetened me up with some chocolate :) We had a quiet night... our last kidless Valentine's Day! Wow.

I was with a friend today who told me about her singing telegram that her husband sent her. Romantic and all I guess, but he sent the song, "You Say it Best When You Say Nothing at All." Not sure how impressed I would be with that one. She got a different singing telegram years ago (before she was married, from someone else) with song, "Brown Eyed Girl," and she has blue eyes. Singing telegrams just shouldn't be done for her. But who gets two? I've never even known anyone who got a singing telegram. Strange.

Sunday we will be celebrating Chinese New Year... the year of the Pig.


One tradition is to give and receive red envelopes, or red packets; "Cantonese: 'leih síh' (利市) are passed out during the Chinese New Year's celebrations, from married couples or the elderly to unmarried juniors. It is common for adults to give red packets to children. Red packets are also known as 压岁钱 (Ya Sui Qian lit age suppressing money) during this period. The red envelopes always contain money, usually varying from a couple of dollars to several hundred." Don't be trying to get yourself written into our will... ours our generally in the "few dollars" range... and we give them too...

It's also family day weekend here in Alberta... Monday off! And we really will be spending it with family... my cousin's kids have birthdays around the same time as each other, so we are heading there for a party.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awww, "Brown Eyed Girl"...that was the first song I danced to with Laura (at my brother's wedding reception). Laura has brown eyes though.