Sunday, February 18, 2007

domestic diva III

Domestic Diva Part III

So, my domestic divaness goes on long vacations sometimes, but this weekend, it returned... using a sewing machine similar to this:
Kenmore circa 1947, I shortened the sleeves of 3 of Karl's fleece sweater/pullovers that I got him for Christmas. We didn't think the sleeves were "too long," however approaching the end of February and discovering tags still attached, I decided I better figure out what to do with them... what's the worse that could happen?

I also hemmed 3 pairs of new maternity pants, and I was more concerned about my pants... they were good finds at a maternity consignment store ($5 and $10, new tags still on them! Do you know how much maternity clothes cost? It's insanity!). It's hard enough to find nice pants with a 28" inseam that aren't maternity, so I wrote off the chance of finding any that would fit me without hemming. I was pretty motivated to get them done, as my stretchy jeans definitely saw their last day yesterday, until at least... October? Too tight... they spent most of the trip out to Banff and back yesterday unbuttoned (and it wasn't from the visit to the candy store)!


So, I am happy to report, nothing went too terribly wrong with the sewing... measure twice, cut once... kind of like building a deck. They say. And for the record, I am pretty impressed with the competence of this sewing machine. It does normal stitches, stretch stitches, and even sneaky hidden hemming stitches. Makes me wonder if my iPod or computer or PS2 will be functioning in sixty years... they just don't make things the way they used to (I'm too young to be saying that!).

Posts and pics coming soon from Charlotte!
'Til then, all you Albertans enjoy your day off tomorrow (the joys of working for a national organization, I get to work regardless!) and

Happy Chinese New Year :)

(click to view ecard to us from Forsyths)

4 comments:

Keri's Collage... said...

Happy Chinese New Year to you too!!

Keri's Collage... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kori's House said...

You are a diva!!

Happy Chinese New year!

Rachel said...

Now to start sewing up some baby clothes and receiving blankets!