Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Telemarketers

The telemarketers seems to be out in full force in the last couple of days. Our phone has been ringing off the hook. I don't know, may be it is the fall and they think there is a better chance to catch people staying home watching hockey or something. At any rate, I always know that there is a do-not-call list kept by the Canadian Marketing Association (http://www.the-cma.org). It had never been a huge problem, so I never took the time to investigate. Besides, I was under the impression that I would need to pay an annual fee to have our number added to the do-not-call list. Having had more than a few calls in the last couple of days, I was annoyed enough to be willing to pay for that. After about five minutes of research, I found out that one can now do that online without a fee. I will have to see if that works since it takes up to three weeks to take effect. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/home/antitelemarketing/tips.html
http://www.cornerstonewebmedia.com/cma/submit.asp

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Excellent! I've signed up!

Anonymous said...

We're on the list down here and it worked like a charm, it was SO NICE. And if anyone DOES call you when you're on the list (after the three week period) they can get serious fines if you report them (at least down here). So write down the date you signed up and then you can say, "I've been on the list since ... " and they usually hang up quickly. ;)

J. D. said...

Thanks for the info. At least someone is trying to battle back.

Karl Chu said...

I hope it works. I know the US has stricter law for this. If it works for you, spread the word.