Friday, October 17, 2008

Skookum


Did you ever have one of those moments, probably somewhere in your mid twenties, when you realized, "hey. the world doesn't revolve around me." Or maybe you never felt like it did, but you still may have had a less-earth-shattering-but-similar moment; something like, "hey. The world doesn't all think like me."

I've had quite a few of those moments. Not sure what that says about me... I'm confident? Arrogant? Naive? Assertive? Not sure. Here're a couple of examples... one time I was teasing a person about needing some psychiatric assessment (the appropriateness of my sense of humour and whether or not "here are" can be shortened to "here're" are other posts altogether); I said, "soon they'll be sending you to the fourth floor..." [insert puzzled look from said person]... "You know? Fourth floor?" [insert shaking head from said person]... "HULLOW, fourth floor! Psych ward! Get it?" Then it hits me. hey. the world didn't all grow up in Duncan where the psychiatric ward is on the fourth floor of the only hospital in town.

A friend of mine grew up in a small town in Saskatchewan. One time we were having supper with her and her husband and got talking about what was cool when we were kids. She says, "Remember when it was so cool if you lived on a cul-de-sac?" Blank stares. Then it hit her. hey. the world didn't all grow up in Nipawin where the first cul-de-sac was apparently a novelty.

When I first moved to Calgary I used the word Skookumchuck. Sometimes shortened to Skookum. Seriously, the first person to comment on this blog or on my facebook wall with the right definition of SKOOKUM without looking it up gets a prize. Maybe a SKOOKUM bar. My mom thought it was so funny when I first used that word; to this day if she hadn't actually seen the Skookumchuck hotel with her own two eyes she would think I made it up. So yesterday she was shopping and found a Skookum bar... of course she had to buy it... and so here I sit, munching on my skookum bar. Oh. I guess the prize might be one third of a skookum bar.

I'd love to here your "the world doesn't think like me" moments.

Tune in next time when we discuss whether tighty-whiteys should be called GINCH or GONCH or GITCH or GOTCH.

ps; mom you'd be proud to know that while I did my research for this post, I came across the only skookumgal out there. Her name? Yep. Linda.

5 comments:

Keri's Collage... said...

That is very funny...our psych ward was known as the 'pink room'. It's ginchies and underoos. and Skookum refers to a VERY hefty/large item/person in my world! haha

Anonymous said...

oh yeah...I SO know...
and for me it was only about 3 years ago when that I realized that not EVERYONE eats ukrainian food for christmas dinner.
seriously...I'm talking about the christmas menu when it dawns on me that perhaps my friend Val Chan doesn't eat perogies at christmas. sure enough...she doesn't...I asked her...who knew??

Anonymous said...

THAT made me laugh out loud. Funny; it turns out Karl's family doesn't eat perogies at Christmas either... but I think wontons could be considered a version of perogies... ;o)

Scott Wolff said...

Bernie S. always uses the word Skookum to refer to something trendy, or cool.

Karl Chu said...

Cool! ... or shall I say: Skookum, man!